The outcome of conventional medical treatment is often disappointing, if not dangerous. The Office of Technology Assessment of the U. S. Congress made the astounding admission that:
80% of all medical therapies have no scientific validity.
Hans Inglefinger, M.D., the Past Editor of the New England Journal of Medicine echoed this sentiment describing conventional medicine this way:
- 10% is Clearly Beneficial
- 10% is Clearly Disastrous
- 80% is Not Appropriate for Patient’s Actual Condition
Not very comforting words to ponder as you walk into your doctor’s office! So let’s consider the alternative of natural healing. So, why is natural healing better? Let’s just consider three basic facts:
- Natural Healing Works
- Natural Healing is Safe
- Natural Healing is Cheap
NATURAL HEALING WORKS
In Part One of the webinar I shared some examples of Pacific Health Center clients that had experienced success with natural healing. Conventional medicine is, of course, dismissive of such testimonials, calling them by the pejorative “anecdotal.” So, let me fight back with what conventional medicine loves – studies – of which there are many proving the effectiveness of natural healing methods. Here are a few:
1. High Cholesterol – Conventional doctors routinely tell patients their cholesterol is too high and requires taking an expensive statin drug to lower it. One cholesterol-lowering drug, Baychol, was withdrawn from the market in 2001 after 31 people died from toxic reactions. Statin drugs also suppress the body’s production of Coenzyme Q10 – one of the most important nutrients for cardiovascular health. By contrast numerous natural remedies help high cholesterol with no side-effects. One of them is policosanol. In one six-month double blind study, taking 20 mg of policosanol per day lowered LDL (the so-called “bad cholesterol”) 27.4% and cholesterol itself by 15.6%, while HDL (the so-called “good cholesterol”) favorably increased by 17.6%.
2. High Blood Pressure – Hypertension is one of the most frequently medicated disease, partly because of false positives via the stress of so-called “white coat syndrome” at the doctor’s office. High blood pressure drugs generally act as diuretics, flushing sodium from the body. Unfortunately they also flush out potassium which is essential for cardiovascular health. Common drug side-effects include dizziness, drowsiness, blurred vision, headaches, gas, dry mouth, fatigue, stomach upset, difficulty breathing, and skin rash. The antioxidant Coenzyme Q10 is one of several possible natural hypertension remedies. A study of 109 patients used 225 mg/day of CoQ10 and noted substantial improvement in blood pressure. Half the study participants were able to discontinue their high blood pressure drugs within four months of taking CoQ10.
3. Depression – Tens of millions experience depression and take anti-depressant drugs, yet the right balance of essential fatty acids in the diet appears to greatly alleviate this problem. While the Journal of the American College of Nutrition recommends a 1:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids, the average American consumes 20 times more omega-6 than omega-3. Omega-3 fatty acids are particularly found in fish. Dr. Joseph Hibbeln of the National Institutes of Health found that the higher a nation’s consumption of fish, the lower the rate of depression, postpartum depression and Seasonal Affective disorder (SAD).
4. Multiple Sclerosis (MS) – MS is a progressive, neuromuscular disease characterized by loss of the myelin sheath around the nerves. This results in symptoms including muscle movement problems, balance, speech, fatigue, depression, cognitive ability and more. Conventional medicine tries to control symptoms with various drugs, but not without significant side-effects. A study at the Oregon Health & Sciences University found the herb Ginkgo Biloba effective against MS. The Ginkgo group in the study performed 13% faster on a standard color and word test, as well as noting improvements in fatigue and muscle pain. A survey of 1913 MS patients in Oregon found that 20% used Ginkgo and 39% of those found it beneficial for their symptoms.
5. Alzheimer’s Disease – Though conventional medicine offers several highly liver toxic drugs to try to help symptoms, results aren’t that great. Natural healing, however, offers several encouraging alternatives. The Journal of Biological Chemistry reported that curcumin was as effective as many other Alzheimer’s drugs in preventing, as well as breaking up, brain plaques. Huperzine A, a derivative of Chinese Club Moss, is extensively used in China, where a Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica study of 50 patients found 29 improved in memory and cognition.
Natural healing works simply because it focuses on root causes. It uses remedies that don’t cause further problems, rather than just treating symptoms with toxic drugs.
NATURAL HEALING IS SAFE
No matter how effective natural healing is, we wouldn’t want to try it if it weren’t safe. The statistics show that, not only is it safe, but amazingly safe as compared to conventional medicine. According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, in 24 years only 11 people in the U. S. were killed by taking vitamins – and that was probably from taking a ridiculous amount that no practitioner would ever recommend. Let’s compared that to other causes of death – not in a 24 year time period, but annual numbers:
Aspirin – 59 deaths/year
Acetaminophen – 147 deaths/year
Aerosol air fresheners – 2 deaths/year
Table salt – 1 death/year
Baking soda – 1 death/year
Perfume/cologne/aftershave – 2 deaths/year
Being struck by lightning – 54 deaths/year
By contrast, Barbara Starfield, MD, of the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, noted in the July 26, 2000 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association that conventional medical treatment is the third leading cause of death in America, killing 225,000 people per year!
NATURAL HEALING IS CHEAP
There are so many examples of how inexpensive natural healing is compared to conventional medicine that I hardly know where to begin. But let’s just take two examples:
1. Hospitalization Cost – The average hospital cost per day in 2010 ranged from $1625 to $2025 per day, depending on the type of hospital. The average hospital stay cost $9700, up from $6700 in 1997. My clients would have difficulty spending in a year with Pacific Health Center what they spend in a day in the hospital!
2. Prescription Drug Cost – This is to me even more obscene. Suppose you were to take just one pill per day for one year of the most common prescription drugs buying them at the Costco.com pharmacy. Here’s what you would pay:
Lipitor (10 mg) $2164
Lexapro (5 mg) $2416
Nexium (20 mg) $$3066
Prevacid (15 mg) $3681
Zoloft (50 mg) $2330
Remember, that’s just for one drug, taking just one pill per day. Again, you couldn’t spend the amount of just one of those (noting that many people taking multiple prescription drugs) in a year on vitamins, minerals, enzymes, herbs, homeopathic remedies, etc.
Natural healing is better because it works, it’s safe, and it’s cheap. But how do you implement a natural healing program for yourself? We cover that next
in Part 5 of the SICK & TIRED WEBINAR
For Part 5 CLICK HERE
For Webinar Menu CLICK HERE
And/Or . . .
SIGN UP to receive our monthly health newsletter by filling out the form below: