For as long as I can remember, conventional doctors and their willing accomplices in the media have told the public to avoid salt because it caused high blood pressure and other heart disease. Recent studies are now showing no such link — one more bandwagon it’s time to jump off of.
Here are the studies:
- Meta-analysis of 6250 subjects found no evidence that lowering salt intake reduced heart attacks, stroke, or death. (American Journal of Hypertension, August 2011; 24(8)’ 843-53)
- A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association last year actually found that lowering salt intake increased incidence of heart disease. (JAMA,2011: 305(17); 1777-1785)
- 1988 study found no relationship between sodium intake and hypertension. Those eating the most salt had lower blood pressure than those eating the least salt. (“It’s Time to End the War on Salt,” Scientific American, July 8, 2011)
More details on these studies are found at: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/05/end-war-on-salt.aspx?e_cid=20120305_DNL_art_1
GOOD SALT AND BAD SALT
Having briefly noted the above fallacies, let me hasten to add that you absolutely should not use regular table salt. Why? Because it is a refined, unnatural product that is basically toxic to your body. Over 90% of the sodium chloride produced in the U. S. is used for industrial purposes as a chemical reagent, with only a small percentage sold for “food.” For its industrial purpose everything except sodium and chloride must be removed, but your body needs a whole lot more than those two minerals.
For many years now I have exclusively recommend a product imported from the Brittany Coast of France called Celtic Sea Salt (pronounced KEL-tick, not SELL-tick). This salt is harvested from special pristine reserves where it is air and sun dried to retain all 84 minerals naturally found in ocean water, interestingly in about the same concentration as your blood serum or amniotic fluid. It not only doesn’t harm you, but actually promotes better health by providing the minerals in this ideal concentration. It’s especially useful for sinus problems, digestive issues, and many other problems. It also tastes better than refined table salt.
AVOID “SEA SALT”
Beware! This is not the same thing as the so-called “sea salt” you see at your grocery or even most health food stores. The term “sea salt” simply means it was derived from ocean water rather than an inland lake or salt mine. Regular sea salt is still highly processed and refined making it 97% or more sodium chloride. If your “sea salt” looks just like regular table salt — pure, white, fine granules — you know it’s highly refined and processed. Natural air and sun dried salt is gray.
Two links I would recommend (copy and paste onto your browser):
1. My Better Health Update on “Celtic Sea Salt” — http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/blog/?page_id=109
2. The Celtic Sea Salt products at our Online Store — http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/shop/product-list.php?pg1-cid56.html
You will love this product!
–Monte Kline, Clinical Nutritionist