Natural Screening and Health Balancing Program
Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
Monday, July 2nd, 2012
For decades now, conventional doctors have recommended “low dose aspirin” as a heart disease preventive. Given aspirin’s various side-effects, such as causing bleeding on the stomach lining, this has never made sense to me, but more recently the problems created by this “therapy” have come to light. Some medical authorities now suggest that the old “take an aspirin a day” suggestion may do more harm than good.
Cardiologist, Dr. John G. F. Cleland from the University of Hull in England, raised several key objections in an article published in the British Journal of Medicine, based on meta-analysis of over 100,000 high risk cardiac patients:
- Aspirin doesn’t help platelet aggregation as much as previously believed.
- People taking aspirin after a heart attack show no benefit in reduced mortality — they don’t live any longer by taking daily aspirin.
- Aspirin changes the way cardiovascular events manifest themselves rather than actually preventing cardiovascular problems, causing a reduction in non-fatal events, but an increase in sudden deaths.
Dr. Cleland noted in another study, published in 2004 in the American Heart Journal, that patients receiving daily aspirin showed the worst cardiac problems, particularly heart failure. (A full article on this subject is available at the following link: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/06/17/is-low-dose-aspirin-causing-an-epidemic-of-intestinal-injury-and-bleeding.aspx?e_cid=20120617_SNL_Art_1
Some of the side-effects of daily aspirin usage include:
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Duodenal ulcers
- Diverticular disease
- Increased risk of kidney failure
- Hearing loss
ALTERNATIVES FOR CARDIOVASCULAR HEALTH
So, if you’re not taking aspirin, what do you do for cardiovascular health? There are many possibilities, depending on your particular situation and, of course from our perspective, which remedies actually test well on your body. Here are some of the possibilities:
- Omega 3 Fish Oil — one that is high quality and pure (not full of mercury)
- Co-enzyme Q10 — particularly the reduced form the body actually uses called Ubiquinol. This is essential for your heart muscle to function and its production is cancelled if you’re taking statin drugs for cholesterol lowering.
- Natural Vitamin E — long known for its blood thinning effect and prevention of platelet aggregation
- Homocysteine Reducing Suppplements — B6, B12, and Folic Acid are particular important for reducing this cardiac risk factor.
It’s the same old story: drugs only treat symptoms and all drugs have side-effects. In most instances natural remedies are the better long-term choice and definitely the safest choice.
– Monte Kline, Clinical Nutritionist
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012
One in four people over age 45 take this drug, making it America’s #1 prescription. We’re talking about statins taken for high cholesterol. The insane level of statin usage is the result of one of most successful and deceptive marketing campaigns ever. When I was first in practice in 1983, cholesterol was considered OK if it was below 240. Then it was lowered to 220. Today it’s not considered OK unless it’s below 200, or even 180 by many doctors. The LDL (low-density lipoprotein) level was considered OK before 2004 if it were 130 or less, but now it’s supposed to be below 100, or even below 70. So why do the guidelines keep lowering? The guidelines are set by the National Cholesterol Education Program. What they don’t tell you is that eight of the nine doctors on the panel lowering the LDL guidelines in 2004 were in the pay of drug companies manufacturing statins. Every time they lower the guidelines, millions more potential customers are added for their product. It is absolutely obscene. But it isn’t just about money. Statins can destroy your health in numerous ways:
14 WAYS STATINS CAN DESTROY YOUR HEALTH
1. Alzheimer’s Disease — Alzheimer’s is characterized by low cholesterol and thus statin usage may increase your risk.
2. Diabetes — A meta-analysis in 2011 of 22 trials covering 160,000 participants concluded that statins increased the rate of diabetes and liver damage.
3. Cancer – A meta-analysis of 41,000 people concluded that statin usage was associated with increased cancer risk.
4. Cardiovascular Disease — Dr. Stephanie Seneff, Senior Scientist at MIT and three decade researcher of cholesterol with hundreds of published peer-reviewed papers states:
Heart disease, I think, is a cholesterol deficiency problem, and in particular, a cholesterol sulfate deficiency problem.
Cholesterol sulfate is produced via sun exposure on the skin. When you have inadequate sun exposure (as a result of conventional medical quacks telling you to get out of the sun and smear your skin with cancer-causing sunscreens) your body takes damaged LDL, turns it into plaque, which your blood platelets in turn produce cholesterol sulfate from. The problem is that the plaque is left coating your blood vessels and therefore increasing your cardiovascular risk. Dr. Seneff’s approach to lowering cholesterol therefore is to get some sun exposure on the skin (but not excessive — don’t burn!).
5.Vitamin D Deficiency – Ever wonder why everyone’s now finding out with blood tests that they’re vitamin D deficient? Could it be because tens of millions are taking statin drugs, lowering their cholesterol, which is produced when the sun reacts with cholesterol in the skin? Vitamin D deficiency, of course, is now being linked to all manner of health problems.
6. Hormonal Deficiencies – Your body makes essential hormones out of cholesterol. Low cholesterol = low hormones, including sex hormones and cortisol adrenal hormone.
7. Muscle Weakness — Statins work by basically killing the HMG Co-enzyme A Reductase enzyme, out of which cholesterol is produced. The problem is that other key nutrients are also produced from HMG CoA Reductase including Co-enzyme Q10, otherwise known as Ubiquinone, or in its reduced form, Ubiquinol. Co-Q10 is found in every cell in the body, but is particularly concentrated in muscle tissue (including the heart muscle). It functions as an antioxidant, helping your muscles hang on to the oxygen they have, thus combating muscle fatigue. It is also a component of the Kreb’s Cycle of energy production in the body. Destroy your CoQ10 and you will likely experience fatigue and muscle weakness. If you are taking a statin, you must be on a CoQ10 or Ubiquinol supplement to replace this vital nutrient!
8. Increase Aging – Possibly due to the CoQ10 destruction noted above.
9. Increased Arthritis
10. Depression – The serotonin neurotransmitter that makes you feel happy and upbeat is produced from, guess what? Cholesterol. The lower your cholesterol, particularly cholesterols well below 200, the more likely you are to be depressed. But don’t despair! Your doctor has drugs for that too!
11. Increased Parkinson’s Disease
12. Increased Lou Gehrig’s Disease (ALS)
13. Decreased Immune Function
14. Teratogenesis (fetal malformations) — Cholesterol is essential to embryonic development, and thus it is essential to have sufficient cholesterol during pregnancy. Women of child-bearing age absolutely should not be on statin drugs, which are in the same category as thalidomide (though most doctors don’t know this).
SO WHAT’S THE ALTERNATIVE TO STATINS?
1. Understand Cholesterol if Not Your Enemy — Your body produces cholesterol because it needs it. Among other things, cholesterol is a repair material. When you get “potholes” in your blood vessels, cholesterol is the “patching material.” But since you don’t want those cholesterol patches building up in your blood vessels, you need to produce healthier blood vessels that aren’t full of “potholes.” B-vitamin supplementation is essential in this regard, as is L-Lysine, L-Proline, and Vitamin C (as in our product Collagen Forte) as nutrients that build connective tissue.
2. Don’t Get Conned into a “Low Cholesterol” Diet — 75% of the cholesterol in your body is produced in your liver, while only 25% comes from your diet. When you reduce dietary cholesterol, guess what your liver does? It makes more cholesterol to compensate. The main thing decades of Americans being conned into eating “low cholesterol” foods is making people more depressed from lowered serotonin and then getting them hooked on SSRI anti-depressant drugs.
3. Get Some Sunshine — Quit regarding the Sun as being out to kill you. Get a healthy amount of sunshine on your skin when possible (normally don’t exceed 20-30 minutes). As described above, this can help lower your plaques in the blood vessels.
4. Use Natural Supplements to Lower Cholesterol — Several supplements can help with naturally lowering cholesterol and/or plaques without side-effects. High quality, mercury-free fish oils are very helpful (stay away from the big box store products that are typically contaminated with mercury), as are Policosinol, Resveratrol, Nattokinase, and others.
6. If Overweight, Do our hCG Weight Loss Program — With the almost perfect results we’ve had for two years in running 80 clients through this program, we’ve consistently seen other problems disappear with the weight loss, including high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and others. See our Free Webinar at the following link:
Need more information? Just sign up for a Free Health Screening Telephone Consultation with me at:
– Monte Kline, Clinical Nutritionist
Tuesday, April 24th, 2012
One of my fellow Elders at our church shared a summary on some fascinating insights on anxiety, where it comes from, and what to do about it. This is such a persistent problem for many that I wanted to pass on this information. Though this was written for church leadership issues, I find the principles universal and relevant for most anyone’s situation. Hope you find it helpful.
– Monte Kline
“Congregational Leadership in Anxious Times”
By Peter L. Steinke
- Anxiety is an automatic reaction “to a threat, real or imagined.”
- Anxiety is a natural reaction designed for self-preservation.
- Our Creator has provided us with a strong urge for survival.
- At one level, anxiety can make us alert, more self-conscious, and highly motivated to take action.
- At an elevated level, however, anxiety can be a paralyzer (the word anxiety is derived from a word meaning “to choke” or “to cause pain by squeezing.”)
THE EFFECTS OF ANXIETY
1. The Repressive effects:
- Decrease our capacity to learn.
- Replaces curiosity with a demand for certainty.
- Stiffens our position over against another’s.
- Interrupts concentration.
- Floods the nervous system, so that we cannot hear what is said without distortion or cannot respond with clarity.
- Simplifies ways of thinking (yes/no; either/or).
- Prompts a desire for a quick fix.
- Arouse feelings of helplessness or self-doubt.
- Leads to an array of defensive behaviors.
- Diminishes flexibility in response to life’s challenges.
- Creates imaginative gridlock (not being able to think of alternatives, options, or new perspectives).
2. The Infectious Effects:
- Anxiety is also contagious. It connects people.
- Acute anxiety is situational and time-based. It is momentary loss of self-composure and poise.
- Chronic anxiety is a more powerful infectant. Chronic anxiety is perpetually present in someone or structured into a relationship. Simply stated, chronic anxiety is not specific to a threat. Any issue, topic, or circumstance can provoke chronically anxious people. Consequently, they have little capacity to step out of their experience, observe their own emotionality, reflect on what is happening, make choices based in principles, and manage their lives.
3. The Reactive Effect:
- Reactivity is automatic. No thought goes into action.
- Not recognizing a problem is an anxious defense.
- Anxiety denied has a habit of staying around and festering.
- Closely related to denial is oversimplification.
- Ignoring can be reactive. And the opportunity for learning and change disappears with the ignored leaders’ inactivity or departure.
- When facing anxious times, a high percentage of congregations freeze.
- When anxiety ushers in its relatives—anger, anguish, and grief—the temptation to scapegoat is strong. Scapegoating is an attempt to pinpoint a culprit or find fault with someone.
- Being thoughtful before acting.
- Staying calm and poised.
- Using “I” statements.
- Maintaining awareness of self.
- Focusing on larger purposes rather than winning an argument.
- Asking questions.
MANAGEMENT OF ANXIETY
- Knowing your limits and the limits of others.
- Having a clarity about what you believe.
- Taking stands with courage.
- Staying on course.
- Staying connected to others, despite it all.
Ponder: Even if information is quite clear, if it runs contrary to someone’s viewpoint, they will contest it. The survival brain will protect us not only from bodily harm but also from challenges to our world of insight and meaning.
Saturday, March 31st, 2012
If you’re one of the 34% of US adults classified as obese, or just in the majority of adults who are overweight to some degree, I know two things about you:
1. You wish you could solve your weight problem
2. You’ve tried numerous weight loss approaches, most, if not all of which have not worked long-term
After almost two years of doing an unbelievably successful weight loss approach with upwards of 100 clients (with 95% success), I believe there are 3 basic “secrets” you must know before you will successfully lose weight:
Secret #1 — Regular Diets Don’t Work — A study was conducted a number of years ago that found 97% of the people who actually did lose weight on a diet, gained it all back (and often more weight) within three years of the diet. Imagine that: a 97% failure rate! Yet Americans continue to try one fad diet after another, buy billions of dollars worth of “diet” foods and drinks. The first “secret” to actually losing weight is therefore to “wise up” when it comes to diets. You can most definitely lose weight, but forget about regular weight loss diets and programs.
Secret #2 — There’s Good Fat and Bad Fat — Your body has three kinds of fat: two are “healthy” fat you need and one is “unhealthy” fat you don’t need. Regular diets, when they work, cause you to lose the healthy fat, while doing nothing affecting the unhealthy fat. You have structural fat, which is basically the “packing” material in the body that cushions vital organs, keeps your face from looking gaunt, etc. Then you have essential fat, which is throughout the body, providing, among other things, the raw material for the body to make hormones and neurotransmitters. Lose enough of this and be prepared for hormonal imbalances and depression. Guess what? These two are the fats you are losing when you go on a regular weight loss diet. That’s why your face may look hollow, you get depressed, or you may have hormonal irregularities, while the “problem” areas of fat concentration on belly, hips, thighs, upper arms, etc. remain unchanged.
The third kind of bad is the bad one — non-essential fat. When you are in a pattern of consuming more calories than your body really needs (as well as for some other reasons), your body “banks” that fat into non-essential fat reserves on your belly, hips, legs, arms, etc. Just as you might buy a time deposit CD if you had more money in your checking account than you really needed, so your body turns excess calories into stored, non-essential fat, locking it away for a rainy day — like a period of famine. The problem is that fat normally doesn’t budge unless you are literally starving for two or three months.
Secret #3 — There is One Method that Gets Rid of Non-Essential Fat — In the 1950′s a British Endocrinologist discovered a natural, safe hormone that, when combined with a very low calorie diet, triggered the hypothalamus gland in the brain to break down non-essential fat, using it for calories. Following my earlier analogy, this method allowed you to primarily to get into those time deposit CD’s and use them for your daily energy requirements, losing weight at the same time. I have typically seen men lose an average of one pound per day and women lose an average of one-half pound per day on this program — usually with good energy levels and little or no hunger.
In 28 years of practice, this is the first weight loss program I’ve seen that really worked for almost everyone, the only one the actually “reshaped” people’s bodies, and the only one in which the weight loss was almost always maintained. Frankly, it’s the neatest thing I’ve seen in my whole clinical practice. I am almost 100% sure it will work for you, if you have a weight problem. To learn more, just watch my recorded webinar at the following link:
– Monte Kline, Clinical Nutritionist
Tuesday, March 13th, 2012
32 million Americans take statin drugs to reduce cholesterol and therefore allegedly prevent heart disease — that’s 1 in 4 people over age 45 or 10% of the entire U. S. population of every man, woman and child. Do all these millions really need this expensive drug, or is this just brilliant marketing? And what about side-effects — especially the side-effects your doctor never warns you about? Can statins actually be increasing your risk of cardiovascular disease?
NEW WARNING LABELS COMING
The FDA recently decided to require additional warnings on statin drugs, specifically that they may increase the risk of:
- Liver damage
- Memory loss
- Muscle weakness
As reported on www.mercola.com (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2099/12/31/fda-warning-on-statins.aspx?e_cid=20120312_DNL_artTest_A2), Dr. Amy Egan, Deputy Director of Safety in the Division of Metabolism Drug Products, the new warnings resulted largely from increased complaints of memory loss.
CO-ENZYME Q10 DEPLETION
Co-enzyme Q10, also known as Ubiquinone (or it’s preferred reduced form Ubiquinol), is a powerful anti-oxidant primarily concentrated is muscle tissue in the body, including the heart. Statin drugs reduce cholesterol production by interfering with an enzyme that is required for cholesterol production. The problem is that the same metabolic pathway that produces cholesterol also produces CoQ10. Thus, in the name of helping your heart, doctors give you statins that prevent production of one of the main nutrients essential to a healthy heart. What’s wrong with this picture! One might also question if statins are so great for preventing heart disease, why is heart disease still the leading killer in the U. S. with 728,000 deaths if stroke is also included? Despite their other warnings, the FDA has nothing by way of warning on the CoQ10 depletion that most statin users will suffer.
TYPE II DIABETES ANYONE?
A more recent troubling connection concerns type II diabetes, since statins increase insulin levels. Basically the blocking of cholesterol production by the statins in the liver causes excess sugars to go into the blood stream. A recent study concluded that for every 498 people on a statin drug, one will develop diabetes — meaning that with 32 million on statins, 64000 unnecessary cases of diabetes occur! Chronic elevation of insulin leads to inflammation and, would you believer, to heart disease. Would someone remind me again why conventional doctors put patients on statins?
OTHER HEALTH PROBLEMS–LIKE 300!
Statin drugs are now know to contribute to over 300 health problems, including: cognitive loss, neuropathy, anemia, acidosis, cataracts, immune issues, liver dysfunction, and various muscle problems.
DO YOU NEED IT? WHAT ALTERNATIVES?
Joseph Mercola, D.O. states the odds are 100 to 1 that if you’re taking a statin drug, you don’t really need it. Mercola echoes what I said years ago in our Better Health Update “Cholesterol Confusion,” (http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/blog/?page_id=55) namely that cholesterol is not the enemy and that high cholesterol (unless extremely high) doesn’t cause increased risk of heart disease. He appropriately instead encourages noting the following ratios:
- HDL/Cholesterol — Optimum is above 24%; below 10% results in elevated heart disease risk. (BTW, mine is 50%)
- Triglyceride/HDL Ratio — Optimum is below 2. (BTW, mine is 0.46 — guess I won’t be a statin customer anytime soon.)
The medical/drug establishment has convinced most of the population that cholesterol is evil and must be eliminated, when in actuality cholesterol is essential to your health. Your body makes “stuff” out of cholesterol — like hormones, like neurotransmitters including serotonin (low cholesterol can make people depressed or suicidal), like bile acids to digest fats, and like vitamin D. A host of natural alternatives for cardiovascular health are available — fish oil, flax oil, CoQ10, resveratrol, astaxanthin, and more. If you’re in the 99 out of 100 that don’t really need to be on a statin, do your health a favor and pursue some natural alternatives — of course, under the supervision of a trained natural health care provider like Pacific Health Center. Call us for a Free Telephone Consultation Health Screening at 800-255-4246.
Tuesday, March 6th, 2012
For as long as I can remember, conventional doctors and their willing accomplices in the media have told the public to avoid salt because it caused high blood pressure and other heart disease. Recent studies are now showing no such link — one more bandwagon it’s time to jump off of.
Here are the studies:
- Meta-analysis of 6250 subjects found no evidence that lowering salt intake reduced heart attacks, stroke, or death. (American Journal of Hypertension, August 2011; 24(8)’ 843-53)
- A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association last year actually found that lowering salt intake increased incidence of heart disease. (JAMA,2011: 305(17); 1777-1785)
- 1988 study found no relationship between sodium intake and hypertension. Those eating the most salt had lower blood pressure than those eating the least salt. (“It’s Time to End the War on Salt,” Scientific American, July 8, 2011)
More details on these studies are found at: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/05/end-war-on-salt.aspx?e_cid=20120305_DNL_art_1
GOOD SALT AND BAD SALT
Having briefly noted the above fallacies, let me hasten to add that you absolutely should not use regular table salt. Why? Because it is a refined, unnatural product that is basically toxic to your body. Over 90% of the sodium chloride produced in the U. S. is used for industrial purposes as a chemical reagent, with only a small percentage sold for “food.” For its industrial purpose everything except sodium and chloride must be removed, but your body needs a whole lot more than those two minerals.
For many years now I have exclusively recommend a product imported from the Brittany Coast of France called Celtic Sea Salt (pronounced KEL-tick, not SELL-tick). This salt is harvested from special pristine reserves where it is air and sun dried to retain all 84 minerals naturally found in ocean water, interestingly in about the same concentration as your blood serum or amniotic fluid. It not only doesn’t harm you, but actually promotes better health by providing the minerals in this ideal concentration. It’s especially useful for sinus problems, digestive issues, and many other problems. It also tastes better than refined table salt.
AVOID “SEA SALT”
Beware! This is not the same thing as the so-called “sea salt” you see at your grocery or even most health food stores. The term “sea salt” simply means it was derived from ocean water rather than an inland lake or salt mine. Regular sea salt is still highly processed and refined making it 97% or more sodium chloride. If your “sea salt” looks just like regular table salt — pure, white, fine granules — you know it’s highly refined and processed. Natural air and sun dried salt is gray.
Two links I would recommend (copy and paste onto your browser):
1. My Better Health Update on “Celtic Sea Salt” — http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/blog/?page_id=109
2. The Celtic Sea Salt products at our Online Store — http://www.pacifichealthcenter.com/shop/product-list.php?pg1-cid56.html
You will love this product!
–Monte Kline, Clinical Nutritionist
Tuesday, February 28th, 2012
A recent Danish study in the British Medical Journal (and discussed in detail at: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/28/swine-flu-vaccine-worthless.aspx?e_cid=20120228_DNL_art_1) looked at the effectiveness of the 2009-2010 flu season’s widely touted H1N1 vaccine. While the constant push is for “high risk” individuals (especially the elderly) to get flu shots, this study found that even though hundreds of thousands were vaccinated, there was no decrease in hospital admissions for H1N1 infection.
But it wouldn’t be so bad if the only problem with flu shots was ineffectiveness. The bigger problem is dangerous side-effects. The H1N1 vaccine marketed in Europe for that flu season caused narcolepsy — exteme daytime sleepiness. Approximately 70% of the narcolepsy cases involved cataplexy — loss of muscular control, along with hallucinations and total paralysis at either the onset or conclusion of the narcoleptic episode.
In theory vaccinations should work great: Give the body a little bit of the disease to stimulate a preventive immune reaction. In practice, a lot of people can’t handle that introduced toxicity. (As an aside, in my recent study on Jonathan Edwards, leader of the First Great Awakening that set the stage for the American Revolution, for an upcoming sermon I’m giving at church, I noted with great interest that Rev. Edwards died after a smallpox inoculation, just a month after becoming the first president of what is now Princeton University!)
The greatest problem with vaccinations probably is related more to toxic mercury preservatives used (thimerosol) and toxic aluminum adjuvants (additives to increase the immune response from the vaccination). My position remains that the best flu prevention is a strong immune system, best facilitated by:
1. Homeopathic flu prevention remedy (Flu Nosode)
2. L-Lysine amino acid for strengthening connective tissue (L-Lysine or Collagen Forte)
3. Vitamin D-3 supplement (Vitamin D 5000)
4. Buffered Vitamin C for overall help with infections (Ascorbplex 1000)
I know many of our Pacific Health Center clients already use these products, but if you don’t, they’re available at the following link:
– Monte Kline, Clinical Nutritionist
Saturday, February 25th, 2012
Can common dental procedures destroy your health? You bet! For nearly 30 years in our practice, working with various biological dentists, we have cautioned our clients against mercury amalgam dental fillings, cavitations caused by incomplete extraction procedures, and root canals, the later being the subject of today’s post. Root canals have become so accepted that most people don’t even give them a second thought, giving me statements like:
I had to have a root canal . . .
Well, actually not only did you not have to have a root canal, but you did create a huge potential health problem. Every day in the U. S. there 41,000 root canals are performed–25 million per year! In a recent post on www.mercola.com (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/18/dangers-of-root-canaled-teeth.aspx?e_cid=20120218_DNL_art_1), Dr. Joe Mercola notes that 97% of terminal cancer patients have had root canals.
WHAT IS A ROOT CANAL?
A root canal is basically a dead, embalmed tooth. The problem is that your body doesn’t do well with dead things attached to it! To do a root canal a dentist hollows out the tooth, filling it with a substance called gutta percha, killing the tooth by cutting off its blood supply. The problem is that literally miles of micro tubules remain in the now dead tooth in which bacteria can hide, untouched by your immune system. Highly virulent anerobic bacteria (those that survive in the absence of oxygen) develop and can then spread when given the right opportunity. It is impossible to totally sterilize a root canal tooth.
DR. WESTON PRICE
An amazing dentist and nutritional researcher name Weston Price, author of the classic, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, around 1900 became highly suspicious of root canals, noting that root canal teeth always became infected. He had a wheelchair-bound arthritic patient whose root canal tooth he extracted and planted under the skin of a rabbit. The rabbit developed the same crippling arthritis as the patient and died 10 days later. But the patient, minus her highly toxic tooth, was immediately cured of the arthritis and no longer needed a wheelchair or even a cane. Dr. Price found various diseases the resulted from root canal teeth and wrote two books on the subject in the 1920′s . . . which were promply suppressed by the dental establishment.
ENTER DR. GEORGE MEINIG
Seventy years later, George Meinig, DDS, a founding member of the American Association of Endodontist (dentists specializing in root canals) studied Dr. Price’s work and wrote the book, Root Canal Cover-Up, the most comprehensive book to date on the dangers of root canals. Diseases that have been linked to root canals include heart disease, kidney disease, arthritis, neurological diseases, autoimmune diseases, and cancer. Breast cancer researcher, Dr. Robert Jones, found that 93 percent of women with breast cancer have had root canals, with the cancer usually occurring on the same side of the body as the root canal.
ROOT CANAL ALTERNATIVES
Whenever I suggest a client not get a root canal, the first question is always, “What’s the alternative?, to which my reply is, “Pull the tooth.” Depending on which tooth is involved a partial, a bridge, or possibly an implant would be the alternatives (though many biological dentists are not keen on implants due to reactions to metals used). But understand that just pulling the tooth isn’t enough, since typical extraction procedures leave a “cavitation” of unhealed bone and buried infection. The proper procedure is remove the periodontal ligament and one millimeter of the bony socket to greatly reduce the risk of future infection.
FINDING A “BIOLOGICAL” DENTIST
Your dentist may be a wonderful man or woman whom you like very much, but if they are practicing conventional dentistry — mercury amalgam fillings, leaving cavitations, root canals, toxic fluoride — they are the worst enemy of your health. I therefore urge you to switch to a biological, wellness-centered dentist who will understand these issues and protect your health. A good resource, sponsored by Consumers for Dental Choice is www.toxicteeth.org, where you can find a biological dentist in your area.
I recommend reading the entire article (and viewing the video) at mercola.com at the link provided above.
– Monte Kline, Clinical Nutritionist
Monday, January 30th, 2012
Calcium supplementation has really been pushed for many years now, with conventional medicine typically recommending as much as 1500 mg of supplemental calcium per day. Such recommendations usually do not indicate a preferred source of calcium, nor the necessity of including other synergistic minerals. Now, a 2010 study involving over 8000 people suggests that taking over 500 mg/day of the wrong kind of calcium — limestone (dolomite, calcium carbonate), oyster shell, bone meal — increases the risk of heart attack by 27% (details available at: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/30/calcium-supplement-on-heart-attack.aspx?e_cid=20120130_DNL_art_1)
For many years I have told clients and seminar audiences that our bodies were not made to eat rocks, though the calcium supplements most often used by Americans are just that — calcium carbonate. For this reason we have always told our clients to only use chelated minerals, that is, minerals that are bonded with an amino acid to make it more like the minerals found in food. Chelated minerals are identified on labels with names including: amino acid chelate, citrate, aspartate, orotate, malate, et. al.
The other big error with mineral supplementation concerns calcium only supplements. My counsel is never take a calcium only mineral supplement. Our bones aren’t just made of calcium, but rather of many minerals and trace minerals, all of which are fundamental to bone health. This is especially true of magnesium, which has a tandem relationship with calcium — increasing calcium levels create relative magnesium deficiencies and vice-versa. Magnesium is probably the most significant nutrient for cardiovascular health in general and for preventing heart attacks in particular. Thus, it’s no big surprise that the people in this study who were taking “calcium only” supplements had increased heart attack incidence. Robert Thompson, M.D., in his book, The Calcium Lie, echoes this sentiment, noting that bone is composed of at least a dozen minerals. He states that exclusively focusing on calcium may not only worsen bone density, but also increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, kidney stones, gallstones, arthritis, obesity, thyroid disorders, and type 2 diabetes.
Besides magnesium, other minerals that are key to bone density are boron, vanadium, silicon, and strontium. Consequently, a multi-mineral from chelated sources is what we have always recommended at Pacific Health Center. As always, our individualized LSA testing will best indicate the most compatible chelated mineral supplement for your body, but even without testing, be sure to you’re using a good chelated multi-mineral such as our Mineral Complex, Osteogenesis, Multi-Minerals, Spectramin Chelate, Mega Min, etc. Your questions and comments are always welcome.
– Monte Kline, Clinical Nutritionist
Wednesday, December 7th, 2011
Do you have a thyroid problem? Do you take prescription thyroid medication? Do you have symptoms that might be low thyroid related? If the answer is “yes” to any of these questions, I have some very important information about a totally new and unique approach to thyroid problems.
Our Consulting Physician, Bruce Shelton, MD, MD(H), has developed a special series of homeopathic remedies for problems typically addressed with common prescription drugs. The latest product in this series is Energize RX-S, which is designed for thyroid problems (previous RX-S formulas address ADD, depression, and gastric reflux).
People taking the RX-S formulas continue taking their prescribed medication, but add the RX-S homeopathic remedy. The RX-S formulas are specially designed to assist people already taking a prescription medication in four important ways:
- Reinforce the prescription medication action
- Reduce prescription side-effects
- Relieve underlying symptoms
- Regulate core body systems
However, the RX-S formulas are also helpful for people who are not on prescription medication or who are taking a non-prescription natural remedy, in this case for example, people who have thyroid problems but are not taking prescription thyroid.
Hypothyroidism (low thyroid) is the most common thyroid problem. It can be caused by autoimmune disorders, radiation, environmental toxicity, fluoride, hormonal medications, genetic susceptibility, or thyroid removal. A lot of thyroid symptoms just look like “aging,” and thus may not be properly diagnosed. Common symptoms are fatigue, increased sensitivity to cold, constipation, pale dry skin, hoarse voice, high cholesterol, weight gain, muscle or joint aches, heavy menstrual periods, brittle fingernails and hair, and depression. If you have adrenal problems, thyroid issues are more likely since the two glands are related. Reaction to gluten in grains or casein in dairy products can also cause thyroid problems.
The thyroid gland combines iodine and the amino acid, tyrosine, to make T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (thyroxin). About 80% of the thyroid production is T4 and only 20% T3, the form the body actually uses, but the body can convert T4 to T3. But, as Shakespeare would say, “there’s the rub.” “T4″ refers to the molecule having four iodine molecules, and “T3″ refers to it having just three iodine molecules. So to make the needed T3, the body has to kick off one of the iodines. But, it must kick off the right iodine molecule, not just any one of the four molecules. It would be like sticking a key into a door lock: If it’s the same brand of lock (Schlage, Kwik-Set, or whatever) the key will go into the lock, but only the right key will actually open the door, not just one that “looks” like the right key. Thus, a lot of people have plenty of T3, but it’s unusable — it doesn’t work. Understand that your thyroid blood test will be normal, and your doctor will say your thyroid function is fine . . . but actually you are hypothyroid, unable to function with that non-usable form of T3.
There are many other possible thyroid problems with a given individual. For example, Levothyroxin (Synthroid), the most common synthetic T4 medication, doesn’t break down well into the needed T3 form. Natural thyroid, such as Armour Thyroid, is much better at this, though virtually all MD’s will bad-mouth using anything but the synthetic.
Since the typical blood tests for thyroid often lead to false negatives, a simple test you can do yourself at home, is recommended. Back in the 1970′s, Broda Barnes, MD wrote a book called Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness, introducing the public to “basal temperature testing.” Here’s how it works: Put a fever thermometer by your bed and take your temperature in your closed armpit upon awakening, before moving around or getting out of bed. If it’s below 97.8 degrees, you’re likely to be hypothyroid.
USING ENERGIZE RX-S
The over 20 homeopathic ingredients (most in multiple potencies for broader action) reinforces both prescription medications and non-prescription supplements for thyroid (e. g. glandulars, iodine, etc.) It contains both homeopathic T4 and T3, as well as homeopathic iodine, cortisol and DHEA. It also reduces common side-effects of prescription thyroid products such as heart palpitations, nervousness, tremor, insomnia, diarrhea, and osteoporosis. Suggested dosage of Energize RX-S is 10 drops under the tongue, 3 times per day. Our homeopathic detox program (drops added to drinking water bottle) is also very helpful for endocrine regulation.
As always, the best approach is to do our individual Limbic Stress Assessment (LSA) testing to design a specific program for your body. That testing can be done from your home computer with a “Hand Cradle” device plugged into a USB port to take the readings during your “virtual” testing appointment. But, if you’re on thyroid medication, I would suggest trying the Energize RX-S, even without testing. We aren’t allowed to list this product in our online store, but you can order it by phoning Pacific Health Center at 800-255-4246. We would be happy to discuss it with you further.
– Monte Kline, Clinical Nutritionist